Liposuction - Oakland, NJ
Liposuction is a procedure in which a surgeon targets very specific areas of unwanted fat between the skin and muscle for removal. Body contouring and sculpting the patient’s body creates slimmer and more ideal shapes. Liposuction is primarily used to eliminate stubborn areas of fat that have been resistant to diet and exercise, and areas of fat that have accumulated simply due to the aging process. Liposuction will give you a much more significant reduction than the non-invasive techniques.
How is a liposuction performed?
Most liposuction procedures involve making a small puncture in the skin and then utilizing various modalities to loosen the fat prior to suctioning the fat through a small metal tube (cannula) and a suction device. If liposuction is being performed with a fat transfer procedure, the extracted fat will be purified and then injected into the target area of the body, such as the breast, butt, or face. Stem cells can also be extracted from the fat during liposuction. If you are interested in a fat transfer or a stem cell treatment, be sure to ask us about adding it on to your liposuction session.
Is liposuction right for me?
Liposuction is about shaping the body, not about weight loss. The results are best when you are near your ideal weight.The following conditions could indicate that liposuction is right for you:
- Have areas of fat deposits that are out of proportion with the rest of your body and have not responded to persistent diet and exercise
- Do not have a lot of excess skin and the area is firm (your skin elasticity is good)
- Would like more definition (toning) in certain areas of your body, a sleeker contour, or more athletic appearance
You will be individually assessed during your liposuction consultation to determine if you are healthy enough to undergo surgery and if liposuction will need to be performed in conjunction with another procedure to contour the skin.
What areas can be treated with liposuction?
Liposuction is often used to remove excess fat cells from many areas of the body, including the lower legs, thighs, hips, waist, back, chest, neck, and chin.
What are the risks associated with liposuction?
Each year thousands of women and men undergo successful liposuction procedures, experience no major problems and are happy with the results. Significant complications from Liposuction are infrequent. However, make sure you understand what surgery involves, including possible risks, complications and follow-up care. Liposuction poses various risks, including:
- Hematoma (an accumulation of blood under the skin that may require removal)
- Sensation changes
- Possible need for revisions or additional procedures
Like any major surgery, liposuction poses a risk of bleeding, infection and an adverse reaction to anesthesia. You can help minimize certain risks by following the advice and instructions of your surgeon, both before and after your liposuction surgery. If you have any concerns about the risks involved with liposuction surgery, please consult your surgeon.
Learn More About Liposuction
What is recovery like?
Recovery from liposuction can vary with each person. Pain is mild to moderate. A dressing will be applied to the treated area. Because the incisions are very small, we typically do not place any sutures so that we can allow excess fluid to drain from the body.
During the first 48 hours following surgery, patients experience varying degrees of swelling. Bruising typically disappears within seven to ten days. Swelling may persist for several months after surgery.
Compression garments are typically worn for 3 weeks 24 hours a day and then at night only for the following 3 weeks.
Pain medication and antibiotics may be prescribed to help alleviate discomfort and reduce the risk of infection.
What other options are there?
There are various technologies used for liposuction to make the fat removal process less invasive, more predictable and safer:
- Tickle Lipo uses a technology in which the tip of the suction tube vibrates at a rapid speed. This vibration loosens the fat cells during liposuction so that they may be suctioned away gently with less trauma to the surrounding tissues.
- The Renuvion (J-Plasma) is the newest technology that we have added to our liposuction protocol. Similar to laser assisted liposuction, the J-Plasma uses thermal energy to further reduce the fat and to tighten the loose skin that may be left after removal of significant amounts of fat.
- The SmartLipo® laser has revolutionized liposuction by allowing the procedure to be performed outside of the hospital setting and without general anesthesia. The laser energy is used to pre-melt the fat so that the fat can be removed with smaller instruments.
If you’re interested in finding out more about liposuction or other body contouring options, please contact our offices at Omni Aesthetics today!